Thursday, February 11, 2010

Physio Update

I saw K today. I had to explain I was in a lot of pain again - mainly lumbar spine (see entry below). I explained my theories (also see below). K felt that the fact I had more mobility in my thoracic spine was the best explanation as to why my lumbar spine has gone "bonkers". Additionally, this probably tallies with why I feel particularly hypermobile and why I was going into hyperextension even more than normal during ballet. K feels my abdominal muscle spasms are possibly a protective mechanism, and the muscles are so sore because they are fatigued/strained. K has suggested I go back to basics in Pilates and that I do some of my pelvic tilt exercises on the wall etc to continue to strengthen the worst area of instability and pain. K said that in the end although my body has become very "disorganised" again, the fact my legs were so much better was an indication for the overall success of treatment and that better to have my fully functioning in the end rather than leaving some areas of the spine stiff and immobile at the expense of the hypermobility. Possibly a difficult call. I don't like feeling this chaotic or unstable - and the pain is not great. I am going to do some Bowen as well to try and pacify things!

1 comment:

@lifesportchiro said...

As a chiropractor specializing in sports related injuries and muscle work, I worked on the San Jose Ballet (in San Jose California). My findings with your symptoms is not a "hypermobile syndrome" of the lumbar spine but a postural abnormality syndrome caused by a learned pattern (ie standing with your weight over your toes instead of your heels) will increase your lumbar lordosis and wreck havoc on your neck and midback by exacerbating your spinal curves overall. Belly sleeping, sitting for prolonged periods, and contracted hip flexors on the front of your body (psoas muscle, quaratus femoris muscle) will pull your spine into a larger lordosis. The hip flexor group attaches at the top of the lumbar spine and if tight, they will put a back in spasm in a patient with lowback issues.

My recommendations based on your blog is that you need to find a doctor specializing in this problem. The key words Myofascial release technique or active release technique (ART) will help you to find a doctor who specializes in this problem. In the US,massage therapists and physical therapists at this current time are not allowed by law to diagnose you, however an athletic trainer or sports chiropractor might beable to help you in this field (or a rolfer, etc) .
For your low back you can lay on a tennisball on the left and right of your spine and stretch those tissues back out and do your own triggerpoint work. You can lay on your belly on the ball and do your own psoas contracture release. For more information, please feel free to send me an email (doctorlisa@lifesportchiro.com)

best!