Saturday, June 5, 2010

Deep-core Breakthrough

This is a historical moment in time. It seems that Isobel Knight has used her 'deep-core' muscles for the first time ever in Pilates!! Up until now, it seems that I have only ever been using the superficial muscles which is not only much harder work but also much less efficient. I was doing some leg-work on the reformer as usual and commented to M that my legs felt extremely weak and like jelly and this was despite low-resistence springs. M said it was because I was actually using the deep muscles, as people should, and it felt strange because it all required less effort than I usually make. A few minutes later she came back to watch me doing full plies and said that she had never seen my pelvic alignment so good and everything was working really well. The trouble for me was that it didn't feel very nice and felt wobbly, fluid and too easy. I did feel quite calm but also rather emotional. Only earlier in the week K had said to me it was like I was working from the 'outside in' so the deep muscles weren't working but the superficial ones were. In a strange twist of fate, it seems that the deep ones have woken up. I don't know if this is a one-off or that now we have woken them up, the deep ones will work properly. If they do their job I will start to move more efficiently, use less effort and accordingly feel less fatigued. Bring it on!

No comments: