Thursday, April 5, 2012

Neurology/Neuro Science Appt - Movement Disorder

I saw the lovely Dr M today at the Neurology Hospital.  I was able to show him and his team of three colleagues the benefit of some of my movement patterns (see below). We talked about whether I did any of these things as a child (no). He tried,  unsuccessfully, to stop me doing this movement pattern, so was able to determine that it wasn't a movement tic that could be supressed with a combination of CBT + medication. I was offered medication but have declined it - although could have a stronger version of a drug like Diazepam for severe episodes of these twitches (e.g. like I had on a longhaul flight). The other option are injections - but again I feel I will wait and see what happens. Dr M is aware that I have a newer twitch in my left shoulder, but thought that my eyelid twitches might be due to a thyroid imbalance, so has suggested that this is tested. I suspect that will be normal as am sure that has been tested before.

Moreoever, Dr M thinks that this is all linked into my Hypermobility Syndrome and Chronic Pain syndromes and the way that they nervous system has been wired up. He certainly didn't think it was psychosomatic or "put on." He is aware that it started just over two years ago during physiotherapy. He has suggested I carry on with my Bowen treatment and Physio and keep exercising and all the good things I have been doing. As the myoclonus don't hurt me I said I am not too bothered by them as they mainly happen during treatment or when I lie flat. After my appt I was asked to take part in some research as my hands aren't affected by the movement disorder and the experiment showed that in those with movement disorders are much more accurate at assessing repetitive finger pressures than normals/controls. Although the trials are in their early stages, I thought this was fascinating - but obviously I have a heightened awareness of my sensorial feedback - perhaps because of my history of chronic pain and HMS. Anyway, all very interesting, and I have offered to help them with other research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuyJvWCIwDM&context=C484a208ADvjVQa1PpcFMA9MmI4mRcyfORhIj_lakOCKiYtbxDPME=


No comments: