Sunday, January 18, 2009

Out of Hyperextension

On Friday there was hardly anyone at ballet, so my Friday teacher, N, spent lots of time with me in trying to take me out of hyperextension. She spent about one quarter of the barre by my feet, taking my knees out of hyperextension and in so doing, increased my exo-rotation (turn out) by quite a lot, and increasing my use of adductors and hamstrings. What happened was that my adductors and hamstrings fatigued very quickly. N also stopped me doing any demi-pointe work at the barre at all, and in the centre also. This meant that I actually managed to complete the whole class, barring the last allegro exercise. N kept on getting me to imagine I had air pockets at the back of my knees at all times. The whole experience felt very odd. She also got me to do some of the barre work and balances on the flat with my eyes closed to aid my proprioception and balance. There is no doubt that this is going to take a huge amount of energy, effort and concentration my behalf, and I am going to have to talk to T about this, who teaches me on Monday and Tuesday to see if she can support me on this work also.

Unfortunately, and as K predicted, my back has been vile. It is very painful today, and the pain has now returned in my hip following her adjustment. I am getting to the point where I might just cope with where I have got to without all this additional pain and discomfort. Fortunately, I am a very stubborn person, and in the end my stubborn and determined streak will win through.

No comments: