Monday, July 23, 2012

Muscle stiffness and "spasm" and strength

I thought that I would share some of the thoughts that have been going around my head lately in terms of contemplating why I get this horrible locking muscle stiffness. One reason might be that I am not doing enough stretching after exercise - ballet or jogging. Another reason might be that as my muscles are regaining strength, they are tightening up in response to this, but it is not a feeling like DOMS. It is hard to reduce this muscle spasm and stiffness which tends to be at localised spots such as gluteals and abdominals. I have some tips for managing this. I have been doing Bowen lumbar spine moves to kick start things before then having a warm bath to allow my muscles to "relax." This is key as first thing in the morning is worst. I am taking magnesium as a supplement for nerve/muscle function. If the spasm is very severe I will take an NSAID and then possibly a small dose of Diazepam. Stretching is also an important strategy in reducing the spasm and getting moving. I am then also having manual therapy (usually physio) to reduce this - but it is a vicious cycle and it is difficult to break - I am in a bad spell of it, but have just recognised some major strength gains, so will look at this as the main reason and take heart (or muscle) and go and have a good stretch to reward my efforts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The easiest way for your body to restore itself is to make sure you get proper amount of sleep each night. Acquiring adequate rest and sleep are two essential factors to determine your recuperation and muscle recovery workouts.